One of the great thing about the end to end challenge is that it is a big, bold and ambitious challenge that everybody can understand (which helps if for your trying to raise sponsorship for charity) and that most people can achieve if they spend the right amount of time on the ride for their level of riding ability. The concept of cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats is quite simple, get on your bike at one end of the country and ride to the other end. That is why it is often referred to as cycling end to end (its also less of a mouthful!).
The problems start when you come to actually start thinking in detail about planning an end to end cycle. It suddenly looks a whole lot more complicated. Which is probably why you are here.
You could lose days of your life searching the web. I know because I did! True, I eventually found everything I needed (or learnt the hard way on the road) but it took a long time.
I just wished that someone had written a planning guide which summarised the whole process for me. So I decided to write it myself: a comprehensive Land’s End to John O’Groats planning guide full of top tips for the cost of a couple of energy gels (electronic versions).
It's a great tool to get your dream tour under way. But don't take my word for it, the whole book is set out on this site. To view pages just click on the links at the bottom of the page or in the left hand menu.
Below are some comments from reviews posted on Amazon.co.uk:
- ‘...if you've never planned a ride like this before I would highly recommend this book...’
- ‘...really helpful and amusing enough to overcome my woefully short attention spa...’
- ‘...full of very practical tips and advice...’
- ‘...it's worth every penny...’
- ‘...I keep my paperback in the toilet - that way I get to read it at least once a day!...’
- ‘...excellent read for potential End to Enders...’
- ‘...the best by far of all that I have read; informative, practical, thoughtful and best of all humorous and entertaining...’
- ‘...I was finding the lack of information in a single source frustrating and then found this!...’
- ‘...enough detail and humour to leave the reader with the optimism that they too can meet the challenge themselves...’
- ‘...packed with useful information and practical guidance...’
- ‘...this book really aided my planning and training...’
The book is available in various electronic versions as instant download from this site or you can follow the links to download versions through Amazon Kindle, iBooks, Kobo etc.
After being asked by a number of visitors to the site the book is now also available as a paperback from Amazon.
You can download an electronic version of the book in .mobi (Kindle) .epub (most other ereaders and apps) or pdf format (PC and devices with pdf readers) direct from this site for a small donation of £2 or £5 towards the upkeep of the free website. Simply select your desired payment from the drop down list and then click on the buy it now button. Once payment is made choose the paypal option to 'Return to Lands End to John O'Groats Cycle Route' which will direct you to the download page. You can then select the type of file you need from the list (you can download all three formats for the one payment if you like).
For more help with your end to end planning click on a link in the left hand menu or one of the quick links to the most popular pages below: